Another Great Week!

Last week, was such a productive week for us!  We started the week with a Name tag STEAM project!  What a great way to start the week!  The children had to build a name tag that had their name displayed, it had to be able to stand on its own, and the challenge was to have a moving part.  It was so fun to see most of the children tackle the challenge, first!  What a fun, creative group we have!

In literacy, this week we started to have some reading groups.  The children were so excited to read, which of course, I was thrilled about!  We read all about how to care for animals!  We did a close read, and found lots of text evidence on how to care for a horse.  We then read a WONDERFUL story called Tiva and Lola, an unlikely story of friendship!  This was a wonderful story of how a young girl befriended a black rhino, in Africa.  The children did an amazing job of recalling events from the story, and checking themselves by finding text evidence!  I was so proud of them!  We did a shared write, retelling, how to care for a baby rhino.  We also met with our book buddies, and some of us took our first reading counts quiz!  This is a quick quiz that asks questions about the books the children are reading!  Everyone will have a chance to login and take a quiz, this week!

In math, we have made it to successfully rotate through three rotations!  The children can do this pretty well now.  This week, we continued to utilize iPads to practice Everyday Math games online.  They have been exploring this week, whereas next week they will be given a game to play, that practices a specific skill.  In group, we have worked on ten frames, skip counting, comparison number sentences, and some adding of coins.  This unit has focused on building some number sense, and laying the foundation for the remainder of second grade.  We will continue to practice and reinforce these skills throughout the year!

In library, we all practiced logging into computers, for the first time!  We will have a lot more practice with this throughout the year!

This week, we continued on our quest of Growth Mindset, and read a book called Beautiful Oops!  It is one of my favorite lessons, because you get to see how the children deal with unpredictable things, their creativity, and flexibility with their thinking.

Check out the video above!  Although I warn you, it may get stuck in your head.  Each page is about how you can turn a mistake into something beautiful!  The children did an amazing job with this task!

Friday was a big day for some of us!  We got our first ever purchased lunch!  What better day to try lunch, than on pizza day!  I think there is another group of us that will be trying again on Friday, so if any of the second graders want to buy lunch on Friday, or any other day, I would be happy to walk through the line with them!  It was super fun to sit and have lunch with them! :).

Remember, we DO have school on Monday!  We will be plowing through another full week, and we are getting close to having a full schedule!  I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!  It wasn’t quite as warm as I was expecting.  Thanks to all of our second grade volunteers, and runners that came out on Saturday to support the PTA Fall Frolic!  It was a pretty amazing event!  We’ve got some pretty speedy kiddos in our class!  It was so fun watching them, their parents, and some of our NBCS staff run the races that day!

I hope you all have a great week, and as always, don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns!

1 thought on “Another Great Week!

1. Leda Sealy

Hi Mrs. Prive, I am William Sealy’s mother, Leda Sealy. I wanted to touch base with you because I wasn’t able to attend back to school night. I want to make sure I am added to any email lists that I need to be, i.e. room mom, class parties etc. Will is having a great year so far and has told me you are a really good teacher! Thanks for giving him such a great start to the year! Sincerely, Leda Sealy

Reply